Dental Exams and X-Rays
Routine dental exams are important to maintaining healthy teeth and gums. Additionally, routine dental exams can help avoid the financial costs associated with large treatment plans due to neglected dental issues. The Academy of General Dentistry recommends bi-yearly checkups for people of all ages. At this frequency, most problems can be caught while they remain in an early stage.
Dr. Parker first examines your mouth visually, using dental equipment such as mouth mirrors, dental picks, and high intensity lights. He will look for cracked and decayed teeth, as well as review other important items such as the following:
- Medical history review: Dr. Parker will assess how any new medical conditions or illnesses may affect your dental health.
- Examination of tooth decay: Your mouth will be checked for cracked of decayed teeth.
- Oral cancer screening: The face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums will be checked for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Your gums and bones around the teeth will be checked for any evidence of periodontal disease.
- Examination of existing restorations: Current fillings, crowns, and other restorations are made sure to be in good order.
Additionally, our hygienist will take diagnostic x-rays which Dr. Parker will review. These x-rays can reveal hidden problems, especially in the areas below the gums, between the teeth and under existing restorations. Bitewing x-rays are typically taken every 12 months and a panoramic x-ray, in which you can see the entire teeth and jaw structure, is taken every 3–5 years.
Book an Appointment today!
GET A FREE CONSULTATION